Kotah State

from an envelope used by the State administration


The city of Kotah, now known as Kota, is situated at the centre of the south-eastern region of Rajasthan, south of Jaipur, west of Bundi and Mewar. Its state bordered Gwalior and other parts of Madhya Pradesh and was 5,725 square miles. It was a region widely known as Hadaoli - the land of the Hadas.
The Hadas are a major branch of the great Chauhan clan of the Agnikula (fire dynasty) Rajputs. They had settled in the hilly terrain of Mewar near Bijolia at Bambaoda in the 12th century AD and soon extended their rule, conquering Bundi in 1241 and Kotah in 1264. Originally, all this formed the Hada state of Bundi with Kotah as the Jaghir (land grant) of Bundi. Kotah later became a separate state in 1624.
In 1817, Kotah became one of the first of the Rajput states to sign a treaty with the British, in return for an agreement that the kingdom be divided, and a separate kingdom carved out of it for the descendants of the chief Minister Zalim Singh. The result was the new kingdom of Jhalawar, formed in 1838.
In 1931 the population of the state was 685,804. Kotah city swelled soon after 1947, first with the influx from the Punjab and later by the growth of industry.
Within Kotah State were 36 kotris, large estates paying tribute both to it and to Jaipur. Of these, Indargarh, Khatoli, and Gainta have also issued revenue adhesives. 

The Court fee stamps of Kotah, of which a specialist study follows, take the usual Indian pattern of a form which the vendor signs and dates, and the rajah's head.



AN OLD MAP….  

and even older…



A note to the Finance Member, Jaipur Council of State